Congrats on starting your Avon business!! You are at the beginning of an incredible adventure in building a successful, profitable business.
If you’re like most new Avon reps, you’re probably anxious to find your first customers, but you might be confused about where to begin. Perhaps you’ve posted once or twice on your social media and not had any bites yet. Maybe you’ve even reached out to a few friends and they told you they already have an Avon rep or they don’t use Avon products for x, y, or z reason.
Don’t let any of that discourage you! I’m about to introduce you to your 1st Avon customer and explain how Customer #1 is also your most effective sales tool on the path to more customers and a strong, profitable business!
Before we meet your 1st Avon customer, allow me to clear up a few common misconceptions about finding customers:
- If you’ve posted on social media a few times and the orders have not started rolling in, that does NOT mean that no one is interested. Social media can be a tremendously effective tool for growing your business, BUT it takes more than a couple posts to get results. There are a few simple tricks you can apply to increase your success with attracting customers online. (Check out a few myths, truths, and tips that I’ve compiled about selling online HERE.)
- If a few of your friends have told you they already have an Avon rep, that is NOT a roadblock to your success. You can sell to anyone across the entire United States. There are plenty of potential customers out there for all of us! Most reps find their first customers amongst friends and family, but if you give your business a chance to grow, your best customers will likely be people you have not even met yet!
- If you live in a small town, where there are already active Avon reps, see above! You are NOT limited to your small town. The entire country is your potential customer base! Promote your business far and wide!
- If people have told you they’re not interested in Avon for any variety of reasons, I can almost guarantee you that they have not yet met the new face of AVON in 2020. During the past few months alone, our Avon product collection has grown and diversified enormously! Today’s Avon is not the same Avon that people may be familiar with from years past. While we still offer many of the products Avon is famous for (Skin So Soft bath oil, Glimmersticks eyeliners, Bug Guard, Moisture Therapy, Wild Country cologne, Sweet Honesty perfume, etc.) we now offer a much greater variety of products, including many which are made with today’s interests in mind, using natural, organic ingredients with sulfate-free, paraben-free, gluten-free, and vegan formulations. Additionally, we offer products from other highly-respected beauty brands such as CHI, Belif, Dr. Belmeur, and The Face Shop. We also offer entirely new product categories, such a household cleaners, fashion, and health & safety (face masks, face shields, gloves, hand sanitizers, etc.). Your #1 job is to introduce everyone you know to the new face of AVON!!
To put it simply, there are plenty of customers out there and they are going to love the incredible products you have to offer. You’ll develop a successful, profitable business as you gradually grow your customer base, one new customer at a time.
And while many reps build their initial customer base amongst the people they currently know (friends, family members, co-workers, neighbors, etc.), your first customer is someone you know better than anyone… YOU!!!
Remember when I mentioned above that your #1 job is to introduce all of your potential customers to the new face of AVON?? In order to introduce others to Avon, first you need to get to know Avon for yourself!
In fact, becoming your own first Avon customer will equip you with the most important tools you need to find more customers.
Think about it…
If a potential customer asks you for your opinion about a product or a recommendation, how will you offer that information if you have not tried the products??
If you don’t personally use the products you are selling, how are you going to convince other people to try them?
How will you tell people about your personal favorite products if you don’t personally know the products you’re selling??
Aside from being able to offer your personal experience with the products you’ve tried, using the products gives you the opportunity to become a walking talking advertisement for your business as you “Wear & Share” the products!
Now, let me be clear…
I am NOT suggesting that you place an order to stock up on a bunch of inventory. One of the many nice things about Avon is that we never need to purchase a big inventory of items to sell, so unless you have a solid plan for selling on-hand items (for example during a vendor event/craft fair or home party), I do not recommend that you purchase a bunch of stuff to sell.
I am also NOT suggesting that you purchase a bunch of stuff you don’t need, just to give it a try. Money is tight right now for many people and the whole idea of being an Avon rep is to make money – not spend it! It’s not necessary to spend your money on things you don’t need.
What I AM suggesting is that you shop from your Avon business for items that you and your family already need and use, which you would be spending your money on somewhere else anyway.
- Do you shampoo your hair? Try one of Avon’s many hair care products, with options suitable for all hair types!
- Do you brush your teeth? Avon now has a huge variety of oral care products, with and without fluoride. We even have teeth whitening kits, children’s toothpaste, and coming soon… mouthwash!
- Do you use deodorant? Avon’s Feelin’ Fresh deodorant is the best I’ve ever tried, at a fraction of the cost of other brands!
- Do you do laundry, wash dishes, or clean your home? Avon now offers laundry detergent, stain remover, dish soap, dish clothes, multi-purpose cleaning spray, cleaning wipes, and more!
- Do you use insect repellent to protect against mosquitoes, deer ticks, gnats, and other pesky insects?? Your Avon business carries America’s #1 DEET-free insect repellent!
- Do you cleanse your face or use other skin care products to address blemishes, fine lines/wrinkles, sagging skin, dry/irritated skin, sensitive skin, dull/rough skin, etc.?? Avon’s got skin care products for all of those concerns!
- Do you wash your hands, use hand sanitizer, wear masks, or use gloves? Yup, your Avon business has all of those things too!
- What about fun stuff, like makeup, jewelry, or fashion – do you ever treat yourself to those things?? Avon’s got them too (and these items are some of the best for “wearing and sharing” the products in person or through pics)!
Get to know the products you are selling by starting with the things you already need and use. If you’re going to be purchasing those items anyway, you might as well purchase them from yourself!
Avon also offers tons and tons of product training opportunities** every single week to help you get to know all of the products you’re selling, but there’s nothing more valuable than firsthand experience, so start with a few items you already need and go from there!
**For product training opportunities, follow the Avon USA Representatives Facebook page and also check out the “Beauty Buzz” section on the homepage of avonnow.com, where you’ll find updates and links for upcoming training webinars.
Benefits of Personally Using Avon Products:
- You’ll enjoy the benefit of your representative discount (as long as your total sales for the campaign are at least $40) on the items you purchase.
- You’ll gain the sort of invaluable product knowledge which comes from personal use.
- Every item that you try becomes an opportunity to share a testimonial with potential customers. (Take pics as you use the products and talk about the items you genuinely love.) The products you personally use become sales tools to gain new customers!
- Your authentic product testimonials will become your most powerful sales tool, so you can grow a strong, profitable business with a wide base of loyal customers!
- You’ll build your total sales more quickly, to help you earn bonuses, rewards, and incentives from Avon!
- You can order brochures, samples, and other business tools at the same time when you place your order.
So, if you’ve been wondering how to get started with building your customer base, start with YOU! Order a few items that you’re already in need of for yourself or your family. Try those products, then share your experience with everyone you know, which will increase their curiosity about what you have to offer! Be sure to share a printed brochure (you can order them when you place your order) or your digital brochure link/online store link when you share your product testimonials, so your customers know how to shop with you!
Ready to place an order, but not sure how? Check out the SHORTCUTS TO SUCCESS course in Avon U Training section (which you can access from the top left corner of avonnow.com) where you’ll find a mini-course on How To Order, which contains a couple helpful video demonstrations!
1st ORDER TIP #1: You can place your order(s) on avonnow.com anytime each campaign. There is no set order date. (Each campaign ordering window lasts for two weeks.)
1st ORDER TIP #2: You can browse all of the available products on avonnow.com. Click Browse Products to search products by category OR click Browse Products, then select “View Brochure” to click through a digital version of the brochure, where you can browse all of our currently available products (click on any product image/description for more info and to add it to your order.)
1st ORDER TIP #3: You can submit as many orders as you like each campaign, but there is a shipping fee added to each order you submit. Most reps prefer to submit one order each campaign, which includes all of the items they’d like personally, any business tools they need (brochures, samples, bags, etc.), along with any customer orders they’ve collected for that campaign. That way, there’s only one shipping fee for everything!
1st ORDER TIP #4: Before you place your 1st order, send a message to a few friends and family and/or make a post on Facebook letting everyone know that you’ll be placing your 1st Avon order. Share the link to your digital brochure in your message and ask your friends if there’s anything they’d like to try. It’s a good idea to mention how many new products Avon now carries and a few things you’re excited to try for yourself!
1st ORDER TIP #5: You can earn bonuses and rewards with your 1st order. Check out the details below so that you can take advantage of the rewards available to you!
BONUSES WITH YOUR 1st ORDER
Currently, Avon has a few incentives for new representatives as you launch your new business! The image below shows the FREE GIFTS, REWARDS, & BONUSES which new reps are eligible to earn with their first order (as of this writing on 12/5/20). Rewards and bonuses may change! Check avonnow.com for the latest rewards programs and/or ask your Avon advisor what rewards you’re eligible to earn!
**Be sure to also check out the Pathway to Premier program for new reps, which offers up to $2000 in additional bonuses during your 1st eight campaigns with Avon!! Complete official program info is available on avonnow.com.